Toby Miller states in the beginning of his chapter on cultural studies that “Cultural studies is a tendency across disciplines, rather than a discipline itself.” (1) He continually addresses the fact that cultural studies is “blending and blurring textual analysis of popular culture with social theory, and focusing on the margins of power rather than reproducing established lines of force and authority”, meaning that inherent in cultural studies is a host of theoretical frameworks, but also that these seek to create a climate of critical thought for change. One of the biggest problems with cultural studies is that it is full of contradictions and antagonistic ideologies that attempt to situate the field of study into a framework of power, agency, authority, and change, to essentially challenge dominant institutions. I guess you could say, however, that this is not a problem but rather the beauty of the field of study. With cultural studies, we can approach our definitions of culture from all of the themes of power, agency, and authority, and even go further as to soak these in gender, race, class, and sexuality within perspectives of economics, politics, anthropology, sociology, and literature, among others. With all of these theoretical frameworks to build across, cultural studies leaves room for a person to study a variety of environments built from the contexts that they find the most important. I am finding with bibliographic readings that Darin has given me, along with my readings of Stuart Hall, Toby Miller, and other scholars, that I am less interested in reproducing definitions and ideas of cultural studies, but rather learning how to utilize the tools that they say help build the knowledge and thought processes that are associated with this field. My interests really lie in the interplay between power and agency, and while I want to connect this to pedagogy, I am also really interested in how popular culture is being utilized in the classroom. This seems to branch further away from the founding fathers idea of cultural studies and focuses more on the American utilization of the field. I have noticed that Toby Miller really shows through his examples of scholars that cultural studies developments have really been a product and reflection of the culture they originate in. I would like to say this is ironic, but I think its just appropriate. Because of this, I also thinks its important to engage with my own context and develop my own understanding and research within the context that is closest to me.
With all this being said, I still want to develop my understanding of cultural studies as a field of inquiry. I have read Stuart Hall’s “Cultural Studies: two paradigms” and I still want to read “The Emergence of Cultural Studies and the Crisis of the Humanities”. I am still also trying to soak up more information on power and agency to connect these ideas to my interests in cultural studies and educational institutions. I almost feel like I should go back and read Foucault again, in order to re-examine his text from this cultural studies framework.
However, I couldn’t help but jump to my interests in pedagogy from my already limited understanding of cultural studies. The most striking article I have read so far, is Henry A. Giroux “Cultural Studies, Public Pedagogy, and the Responsibility of Intellectuals”. The reason I categorize it as striking is because it was the first article I read that prompted me to seriously reorganize my thoughts around the idea of pedagogy. Many of the ideas inherent in cultural studies seem to resonate with me, and the engagement I had with critical theory has not (yet) brought something so ideologically radical as to make me reorganize any schema in my brain. Giroux, in establishing his definitions of culture and pedagogy, eventually challenges his reader to rethink pedagogy by stating that “Pedagogy is not simply about the social construction of knowledge, values, and experiences; it is also a performative practice embodied in the lived interactions among educators, audiences, texts, and institutional formations. Pedagogy, at its best, implies that learning takes place across a spectrum of social practices and settings.” (61) He pushes this definition further when he explains his research into “public pedagogy” and how “the processes of learning constitute the political mechanisms through which identities are shaped and desires mobilized, and how experiences take on form and meaning within and through collective conditions and those larger forces that constitute the realm of the social” (63). Essentially he wants the reader to rethink their definition of pedagogy to social processes that occur not just in the classroom, but through every interaction that occurs between two cultural bodies in society, whether this is from person to person, person to object, or person to idea. If we examine how all of these interactions are imbued with political and social meaning, then the way that information and interactions are translated across sources take on a greater importance and allows us to see process with greater depth of meaning. Pedagogy is not just a term to talk about classroom interactions, but about all social interactions, which are inherently educational. Giroux makes a beautiful statement about the possibilities of pedagogy when he states that “Pedagogy is a referent for understanding the conditions of critical learning and the often hidden dynamics of social and cultural reproduction. As a critical practice, pedagogy’s role lies not only in changing how people think about themselves and their relationship to others and the world, but also in energizing students and others to engage in those struggles that further possibilities for living in a more just society.” (63) He provides a number of compelling reasons why educators must begin to utilize cultural studies inside and outside of the classroom because of its growing possibilities, ultimately with the purpose of creating a critical, democratic future for any society. I know a lot of critical theory deals with language and semantics, but this new, profound explication of pedagogy has created a new interest with my engagement with educational processes. Instead of seeking to bring cultural tools and media into the classroom to inform education, I want to now ask how can I now utilize the purpose and goals of education in my interactions with people outside of the classroom? How can I affect the power structures at play in education not from within the classroom, but by examining political media and socialization? How can I be critical about socializing and education process that are happening at every moment of the day and still affect change when it is not a controlled classroom setting? I guess this is only the beginning of my questions.
No comments:
Post a Comment